Friday, November 06, 2009

Beefy Tex-Mex Stir-Fry

From Everyday with Rachael Ray



Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 poblano chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 pound ground beef
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
Salt and pepper
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the poblano, onion and chili powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat, until the meat is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato and tortilla chips and season with salt and pepper.

Divide the meat mixture among 4 plates and top with the cheese.

Comments:
At first I was wary of the not draining the beef thing, but it worked out alright. It wasn't greasy - I guess the tortillas suck some of it up, huh? Anywho, couldn't be simpler. Well, ok, so I made the mistake of touching my eye with the hand that de-seeded the hot pepper, which is never advised. I swear even now, days (and multiple showers and hand-washings) later, I still must have some of it under my fingernail. Strong stuff! But other than that, pretty brainless. Adam suggests topping it with some sour cream. And bacon. He always wants bacon on everything.

No comments: