Friday, July 17, 2009

Southwest Eggrolls

From Taste of Home



Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
2/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
5 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
20 egg roll wrappers
Oil for deep-fat frying

DIP:
1 cup ranch salad dressing
1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and mashed
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon grated lime peel

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Place 1/4 cup of chicken mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat.

In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Meanwhile, combine the dip ingredients. Serve with egg rolls.

Comments:
I was so impressed with myself. The only thing I left out of this recipe was the cilantro. I even got a fresh lime to zest. Wow! I ended up with 12 eggrolls rather than 20, but I have a feeling I skimped on the amount of chicken. I just cooked up a couple of breasts on the George Foreman and guesstimated. Overall, pretty good. A little spicy for my tastes, and Adam didn't dig the sauce.

No comments: