Thursday, June 25, 2009

Meatball Tortellini Soup

From Taste of Home (I can't find the recipe on their website...)



Ingredients:
One 14.5oz can beef broth
12 frozen cooked Italian meatballs
3/4 cup fresh baby spinach
3/4 cup stewed tomatoes
One 11oz can Mexicorn, drained
3/4 cup frozen cheese tortellini
salt & pepper

Directions:
In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the spinach, tomatoes and corn; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tortellini, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until the tortellini is tender.

Comments:
Hrm, what the heck is "Mexicorn"? Is it like Rotel, but with corn instead of tomatoes?

Anyway, didn't do too well following this recipe, but my dish still looked surprisingly like the picture on the recipe card...



So, what did I actually do? I made my own meatballs, for one. How hard is it that you have to buy pre-made, frozen meatballs. Geesh. I used this recipe minus all the onion and plus some Italian seasoning. I mean, they were supposed to be "Italian meatballs" and all. I put the broth into a pot, brought it to a boil, plopped in the cooked meatballs. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Then I added a can of diced tomatoes, a can of corn (regular corn. Mexicorn? Pfft), and some baby spinach that I chopped up a bit. I let that simmer for another couple minutes. Then I added the tortellini, salt, pepper, and let that cook while I made some rolls. Almost didn't burn them this time!

Anywho, I thought this was good. Adam didn't like the tomato part.

No comments: