Friday, June 12, 2009

Cheddar-Studded Tex-Mex Meatloaf Patties

From Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats (I haven't found it on Foodnetwork or her magazine's site yet)



Ingredients:
(Quick side note: My one issue with this cookbook is when she has a "Master Recipe" and a "Then Try" recipe, the ingredient lists and directions get really convoluted. Definitely not user-friendly. So here's my take on it. No guarantee this is the recipe that she actually meant, but it worked.)

1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt & pepper
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 green pepper, finely chopped (I omitted)
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1/4 pound cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice

Directions:
Place the meat in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center of the meat. Fill the well with the bread crumbs and dampen them with the milk. Pour the egg over the bread crumbs and then add all the other ingredients. Mix together and form into 4 oval patties (if you want them ridiculously huge. I'd say aim for 6-8.) Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Fry the meatloaf patties for 7 minutes on each side.

Comments:
I'd tried this one before and couldn't figure out where the recipe was from. It took me until now, while going through all my cookbooks, to find it again. Sad. Anyway, after deciphering the recipe it was easy to knock this one out. I cheated on the potatoes. They're about 3/4 boxed flakes, 1/4 leftover baby red I microwaved and stirred the leftover scallions into.

No comments: