Saturday, January 24, 2009

Porcupines

From my recipe box - this is my mom's recipe



Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 small onion, chopped (or minced onion if you're lazy like I am)
salt & pepper
basil, thyme, parsley, oregano to taste (about 1 tsp each, generally)
1 can tomato soup

Directions:
1. Mix the meat, rice, onion, and spices in a bowl. Form into balls and arrange in a deep skillet with a lid.

2. Pour the tomato soup over the meatballs. Add one can full of water.

3. Cover and cook on medium heat for 25 minutes.

Comments:
I love porcupines. I went through a phase when I didn't eat pork or beef (not for health or activist reasons, but because I had this obsession with cows and pigs and I thought they were too cute to eat. I was a weird child.) and this dish is one of the first things I ate when I came out of that. This is also the first dish I made for Adam. Aah, memories. I always make them with mashed potatoes and mix the sauce all through them. Adam's ok with them first round, but refuses to eat them as leftovers.

No comments: