Saturday, February 09, 2008

Adventures in Ice Cream Making

So, over the past month I've been playing around with the ice cream maker I got for Christmas. It took some trial and error, but I think I may have found our best recipe.

You may recall my first attempt, the peanut butter cup ice cream. While it was ok, it wasn't really what I wanted.

My second try was a raspberry ice cream using a recipe from the Cuisinart booklet included with the machine.



It was ok, Adam ate it all, but it still had a strange taste that I'm attributing to the vanilla. The texture also wasn't quite right.

My third try was a chocolate frozen yogurt, also from the Cuisinart cookbook.



After I'd made it and gave it a taste I remembered why I don't like frozen yogurt. It has a weird, tangy aftertaste and, once again, too much vanilla. We ended up tossing it all.

So I decided to branch out and scour the internet for better recipes. I found one for frozen custard. Since I could eat Culver's every day I thought perhaps this was the solution. While it takes about 45 minutes to make the custard, another hour to cool it, another 30 minutes to freeze it, and yet another couple hours to get it hard enough to eat, it's definitely worth it. Being a little vanilla shy, I only added a splash rather than the tablespoon (!) it called for and it seems ok. I might put even less next time since it's still a little overbearing in the background.



This great recipe is from About.com

No comments: