Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tortilla Bread Pudding

From Everyday with Rachael Ray



Ingredients:
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
6 ounces cured chorizo sausage, finely chopped
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 large flour tortillas (about 9 inches), ground into coarse crumbs
Salt and pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish. Using a food processor, puree 1 cup corn.

2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup corn and cook until the corn begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chorizo.

3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, pureed corn and tortilla crumbs. Add the onion-chorizo mixture and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and bake until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes; let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the scallions.

Comments:
A pretty easy dish to throw together. I used whole wheat tortillas, which I can never find in a large size, so I just used 6 medium ones and it seemed to work ok. Both Adam and I liked this one a lot.

P.S. Oh my God, I just typed "Gorilla Bread Pudding" up there as the title and almost posted it. Where did that come from? I must be more tired than I thought...

No comments: