Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sausage and Pepper Frittata

From Everyday with Rachael Ray



Ingredients:
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings discarded
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
Salt
1 cup goat cheese crumbles

Directions:
1. In a medium nonstick, ovenproof skillet, cook the sausage and crushed red pepper, breaking up the meat, until browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a medium bowl.

2. In the same skillet, add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the cooked sausage and the butter; reserve the bowl.

3. Preheat the broiler. In the same bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pour into the skillet. Cook, scrambling the mixture, until almost set; top with the goat cheese. Broil, leaving the oven door slightly open, until set in the center, about 5 minutes.

Comments:
I really tried to get out of making this last night. I got the wrong kind of sausage, was discouraged when I told Adam what was for dinner and his first response was "I don't like peppers." But I made it anyway. And it was good. And Adam liked it. I wish he'd stop with the "I don't like [fill in the ingredient]" before I make something using it. I mean, he generally eats it and likes it, but it makes me nervous about cooking it. *sigh*

Anyway. Totally easy, very tasty. And I discovered that goat cheese is quite good. Damn this lactose intolerance thing though. Man. I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff. I only left it under the broiler for three minutes or so because it started to brown too much and I didn't want it to burn. I then turned the oven off and left it in for a few more minutes to finish cooking. That worked well.

No comments: