Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chicken Fajitas with Cowpoke Barbecue Sauce

From Slow Cooker Magic in Minutes



Ingredients:
For the sauce:
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp chili sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
dash Worcestershire sauce

For the fajitas:
10oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
2 green or red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced onion
2 cups tomato wedges
warm flour tortillas

Directions:
Combine the sauce ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 1 1/2 hours.

Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook over medium heat until browned. Reduce slow cooker heat to low. Add cooked chicken, bell peppers, and onion and stir until well coated. Cover and cook 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.

Add tomatoes. Cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through. Serve with tortillas.

Comments:
I suppose that's the way you could have made this. If you planned ahead at all. Or were not lazy. In my world, this is how it went down: I totally forgot to pull the chicken out of the freezer. So I get to work and remember that I was supposed to prep this before I left. Oops. I run home at lunch to try and throw something together. I put chicken breasts that were still frozen solid in the crockpot. Threw the peppers and onions on top. Mixed the sauce ingredients together, threw that in the crockpot, set it on low for 5 hours and hoped for the best. When I got home I took the chicken out and shredded it up a bit when I added the tomatoes. It all worked out. Crockpots are amazing. And good for the absent-minded, holes in her brain cook. :)

No comments: