Friday, February 13, 2009

Scrod Filets with Crispy Potatoes

From The Everything Glycemic Index Cookbook by Nancy Maar



Ingredients:
1 large Idaho or Yukon Gold potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 Bermuda or Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
2 ounces olive oil
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
8 ounce scrod filet
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp butter
Nonstick cooking spray

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme. Toss the potato and onion in the mixture.

2. Prepare an 8" pie pan with nonstick spray. Spread the potatoes and onions in the plate and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top layer is crisply brown and the inside layer is soft.

3. Place the fish on top, sprinkle with lemon juice, and dot with butter. Bake another 10 minutes, or until the fish flakes.

Comments:
I doubled this recipe so I had to adjust a little in both cooking vessel and time. I also used cod since I couldn't find scrod (which, the book tells me, is a young codfish, similar to haddock.) Overall, not a bad dish. I didn't eat the fish, but the potato and onion dish was good.

No comments: