Saturday, October 02, 2010

Spinach Salad with Feta and Mandarin Oranges

From The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook, but I got it as part of the Wellness emails they send out at work.



Ingredients:
14 c loosely packed spinach leaves, stems removed
10.5 oz can unsweetened mandarin oranges in juice, drained
1.5 oz finely crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
1/2 c red onion slivers
6 Tbs light balsamic vinaigrette
1 lb grilled chicken strips

Directions:
In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, oranges, feta, and onion. Pour the vinaigrette over the mixture and toss. Divide into 4 serving dishes and top with chicken.

Comments:
14 cups just looks wrong, but that's what it says. I used about half of a large bag of baby spinach and it made enough for two people. I also skipped the dressing, mostly because I discovered the bottle I had in the fridge had expired. In January. Whoops. I don't think it really even needed dressing anyway - the juice from the oranges keeps everything moist and full of flavor.

As everyone knows, I can't stand oranges, but mandarin oranges are ok for some reason. I can't explain it...

No comments: