Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cauliflower, Sweet Onion, and Leek Quiche

From Everyday with Rachael Ray (can't find it on the site)



Ingredients:
One 9-inch frozen whole wheat pie shell, thawed
1/2 cup packed shredded gruyere cheese (about 2 ounces)
1 tsp EVOO
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
3/4 cup thinly sliced leeks
salt & pepper
2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower
3/4 cup chicken broth
7 egg whites (about 1 cup)

Directions:
1. Position a baking sheet on the lower rack of the oven and preheat to 400. Using a fork, prick the inside of the pie shell all over. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Arrange half of the cheese in the crust and bake until melted, about 3 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower and chicken broth and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.

3. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining cheese and the cauliflower mixture. Transfer to the prepared pie shell and bake until the filling is set, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Comments:
Ok, so slight fail on this one. I neglected to specify "whole wheat" on my shopping list so I just got a regular pie shell. I used provolone since that's what I had. I use whole eggs (ended up being 5 of them to get to 1 cup.) I did ok other than those things.

I knew that I'd end up baking this for much longer than it said. That always seems to happen with quiches. I ended up leaving it in the oven for about 35 minutes. It was set pretty well by that point. But you can see the end of the wedge still caved in when I plated it. Grrr.

Anyway, quiche-execution problems aside, this was pretty simple and pretty tasty. A little bland - maybe some more salt & pepper - but not bad.

No comments: