Sunday, June 27, 2010

Creamy Polenta with Sauteed Vegetables

From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook



Ingredients:
8 large shiitake mushrooms (6 oz), stemmed and sliced
1 10oz package frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup dry vermouth
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups water
1 cup instant polenta
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the peas and cook 1 minute. Add the vermouth, bring to a boil, and cook until it reduces slightly, about 1 minute. Stir in the pepper and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, to prepare the polenta, combine the water and the remaining 1/2 tsp salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, gradually add the polenta in a slow, steady stream; reduce the heat and cook, stirring, until thick but not stiff, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan.

3. Divide the polenta on each of 4 serving plates and top with the vegetable mixture.

Serves 4. POINTS Value per serving: 5

Comments:
In my opinion, mushrooms and peas do not "sauteed vegetables" make. Boring! So I added a few things to this one. I did use mushrooms (which I picked out of my serving) and used fresh sugar snap peas rather than frozen. I also threw in a small zucchini, a small yellow squash, a red and a green pepper, and some broccoli. Now THAT is a vegetable mixture.

Of course, all this revamping meant I had to cook the veggies longer. I actually pre-cooked the broccoli a little. I also used chicken stock rather than vermouth. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well for my altering the recipe so drastically. And it was all vegetables, so it's not like it could be that much worse for you than the original recipe...

No comments: