Friday, March 20, 2009

Creamy Shells with Tomatoes & White Beans

From Everyday with Rachael Ray



Ingredients:
1 pound jumbo pasta shells
6 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 pounds tomatoes, finely chopped
One 16-ounce can navy beans or other small white beans, rinsed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 cup snipped chives
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain and set aside.

2. In the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved pasta, the tomatoes and beans and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Toss with the 1/2 cup parmesan and chives, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Pass more parmesan at the table.

Comments:
When Adam asked what was for dinner tonight while we were out shopping during my lunch hour, he was not too happy with my answer. His response? I don't like beans or tomatoes. Yeah. I told him to have an open mind and if he totally hated it he could make something else. Guess what? He liked it. So there. My only reservation about it is the ridiculous amount of butter and heavy cream. Like, heart attack much? I might modify that if I make this again. We'll see how the lactose treats my body and then make a decision about the fate of this one.

No comments: